Friday, September 5, 2008

Driving like a madman

   Alright, getting used to everything is a little tough but it gets easier everyday. We have finally explored a little off campus by ourselves. Well in smaller groups than before. Rachel and I went back to the grocery store to get some more food. It took about 20 minutes to get there. This allowed us to experience the street life. For the first time in my life I am terrified to cross the street. In this country traffic laws are just a suggestion. Bikes, cars, buses, motorcycles, and pedestrians all share the same road. And by no means does the pedestrians have the right of way. It is actually the complete opposite. They have BIG intersections that have no street lights!!   If you have ever heard the rumor that China smells bad its true. I mean it isn't like that everywhere you go but at least the streets around my campus smell bad. Babies don't wear diapers here either. They wear little pants with a big slit in the bottom and the parents let them do their business wherever needed: the sidewalk, street, ANYWHERE.    I really enjoy the style of clothing out here. All of the girls dress nice everyday and so do the guys.The only problem is that the clothes are made for such tiny structures and I haven't really seen a store with bigger clothing for us American girls who need a little more room. haha.     I have figured out a way to get my food in the cafeteria now. All you have to do is say hello and then point to the food you want and then the person behind the counter holds up their hand for the price and thats eat. I really wish I could  have conversations with them but I guess you can't always get what you want.     Our Italian friend Stefon took us out last night to a club called "One plus One" but in Chinese. We took the bus for about 20 minutes until we got inside the city walls. Our school is located outside of them. We drove past the center of town where the big turnabout is located. You know, like the ones they have in Europe. The club was 2 or three stories high but we mostly stayed on the main floor. It cost us about 100 dollars between 12 of us to get a small VIP section that had a couple of couches and a big table. It also came with a bottle of whiskey, vodka, and a bunch of beers. Compared to clubs in the city back at home this is really really cheap. This was my first real club experience. I had so much fun. I danced all night long. Hopefully we will go back soon.
    Tomorrow is our first school field trip. We are going to see the famous Terra Cotta Army and then see a Chinese opera. I believe it is a love story. I am definately looking forward to this. I am going to stop talking for now until I have more stories. Until later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's about the club girl. That's sooo cheap. I bet it was awesome!